Google Chrome Crashes Unity Desktop

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 21:23:54 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 10:47 PM, Scott Blair <scott.blair at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/17/2015 09:55 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 2:49 PM, John Hupp <ubuntu at prpcompany.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 3/17/2015 3:16 PM, Amichai Rotman wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I installed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on on an Acer Aspire 5715Z (Intel T2390 with
>>> 2Gb of RAM).
>>>
>>> I am experiencing a weird problem:
>>>
>>> Every time I open Google and visit the Extensions Gallery, the whole
>>> Unity Desktop crashes. Restarting the LightDM service doesn't help and I
>>> have to reboot the machine.
>>>
>>> I tried to delete the profile directory under $HOME/.local/google-chrome/
>>> - same...
>>>
>>> Another weird problem - every time I enter the desktop I have to unlock
>>> the Login Keyring, although I have changed the password to a blank
>>> password....
>>>
>>> This is a friends computer, whom I convinced Ubuntu is the best OS to
>>> replace Windows...
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Amichai.
>>>

>> The first thing I would try is disabling Chrome hardware acceleration, at
>> Settings: Show advanced settings: (un-check) Use hardware acceleration when
>> available.

Don't know if this helps.  I use Xubuntu 14.04.2 and have been having
tons of "snap" errors in tabs, occasional complete Chrome crashes,
even crashing the system.  The latter two happen more on my home
desktop (AMD-base) than at work (Intel), but still it seems that the
latest few editions of Chrome have major reliability problems.

Usually reloading the tabs, or Chrome itself, works - for a while.
I'm not entirely sure Chrome is what's crashing the whole system, but
it seems likely since nothing else I use behaves as poorly on a
regular basis.  The logs show nothing.

I did turn off the h/w acceleration in both locations, but today four
of my chrome tabs "snapped" anyway, then recovered.  I haven't been
home since I set this last night, so I suppose I'll see....

MR