Update Manager: do I need it?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Mar 16 13:45:34 UTC 2015

I have a batch (10) of diskless workstations that mount their root (/) and
/usr file systems read-only from a 'headless' server (actually a VM running
14.04), using DRBL. I ssh into the 'headless' server from time to time (weekly
usually) and use apt-get update/upgrade/etc. + some scripts (drbl and my own)
to update things across all of the machines. *Some* of the users on the
diskless workstations are in the admin group, so they are sometimes 'bothered'
by the Update Manager and the Update Manager seems to be hogging resources (eg
beating on the network and/or NFS mounted disks). I am considering doing an
'apt-get remove update-manager' to get rid of the Update Manager -- *I* don't
use it, since I am using (manual) CLI update procedures. Is this 'safe' to do?

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933