Parental Controls

agents4jesus at gmail.com agents4jesus at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 03:38:34 UTC 2015

Hi All,

A while ago, I tried fiddling with Parental Controls for Ubuntu. As there are no native/preinstalled programs for that task, I looked online. DansGuardian came up in my search (you may be familiar with it), so I installed it and had it working, and it did it’s job fairly well.

Until we found out that it didn’t block https.

The reason is simple: https is secure and encrypted. Thus, once the computer has made a https request and is connected to the https server, the rest of the computer (so to speak) can’t mess with it, including DansGuardian. This is the way Ubuntu is set up, I think. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I find this hard to believe. Windows and Mac have web filtering programs that are able to block any website, and Android (with Linux and it’s core) can use NetNanny that can block https as well.

Is there a way to fix this? A terminal command, or another piece of software entirely?

And for Parental Controls in general, do any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks a ton, everyone,

Tony