Forcing static address in 12.04

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 20:59:48 UTC 2015

On 8 June 2015 at 19:40, rikona <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:
> I don't have a way to copy the exact line - abbreviated a bit:
> eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr d4:e3:...etc

Ctrl+Shift+C will copy from the terminal (...+V will paste to terminal).

> ..
> Using the GUI tool initially I tried to change from 'auto' to 'fixed'
> using the existing connection. As soon as I selected 'fixed' the
> 'save' button was grayed out - didn't make any difference what other
> info I put in there - couldn't save the change.

Which tool are you using?  In NM I see Automatic(DHCP) and Manual, not fixed.
Save is greyed out until a valid set of data are provided.  Perhaps
you were not providing valid data.  Can you take a screenshot showing
your data with Save greyed out?

Colin