Motherboard recommendations for running Ubuntu?

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Fri Jul 17 07:08:03 UTC 2015

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 08:17:00 -0700
"Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 4:24 AM, Petter Adsen <petter at synth.no> wrote:
> > Again, maybe 15.04 will make a difference, if not then I guess I can
> > buy some sort of USB sound thingy.
> >
> > It does not appear to be a hardware problem, but some oddity in config
> files.  Sound works normally when booting Windows, and did from the start.
> I suspect an added sound thingy would just add to the confusion.  I hope to
> have more insight soon.

First of all, thanks for your advice. I got the Z97 Pro, and everything
Just Works. This is with an i7 4790K.

As to sound, it works fine here on 15.04, but so far I've only tested
output via HDMI to my monitor. lspci here lists two audio devices, one
integrated in the CPU and one in the chipset.

Well, I just tried connecting a pair of speakers to the rear panel
connector, and they worked fine. I guess it's a configuration problem
on your side, or you might need a newer kernel driver. Both devices use
snd_hda_intel here.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"