Motherboard recommendations for running Ubuntu?

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Tue Jul 14 09:00:34 UTC 2015

I'm in the process of buying a new machine, and I'm a little worried
about choosing the motherboard. After a lot of weighing pros and cons,
I'll probably go with an Intel CPU after many years of buying AMD.

Several of the motherboards I've been looking at seems to be UEFI only,
with no Legacy mode. Does this generally pose problems, as long as
Secure Boot can be disabled?

Has anyone got a motherboard that they feel they can recommend? It must
be possible to install at least 32GB RAM, even though I probably won't
need more than 16GB for now. I'd also _really_ like a decent Ethernet
controller, preferably Intel - I'll avoid Realtek or Marvell if at all
possible. While I could buy a separate card I'd prefer to save the PCIe
slot for something else.

M.2 and/or SATA Express would also be a big plus, and a couple of USB
3.1 ports for future use would be nice, although not required. There
will probably be add-on cards with those at some point if I need them.

In general, I've always quite liked ASUS. I see that MSI has a few
interesting boards, but I have no experience with them personally.

In addition to this, I use two screens today, but I might upgrade to
three in the near future, the new screen being 4K-capable. If anyone
knows of a suitable graphics card for this that is well supported under
Linux, I'd also be very happy. So much the better if proprietary
drivers are not necessary.

All recommendations and hints on what to buy and what to avoid would be
warmly welcome, as my hardware knowledge is hopelessly out of date.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"