Motherboard recommendations for running Ubuntu?

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 14:09:19 UTC 2015

I just installed an ASUS Z97 Deluxe.  It has everything you mentioned.

There were some oddities:
1. The existing 14.04.2 installation could not see all three monitors, but
could use any two of the three.  They had been on an nVidia add-in card,
and are now on the Intel GPU in my i7 CPU.  Oddly, a fresh install works
normally.
2. Sound is not working at all.  It works fine on the live disk, and
presumably I can track down where the problem is introduced, but I haven't
gotten that far yet.
3. There is an extra set of SATA express connectors that are non-functional
by design.  Don't make the mistake of trying to use them.  I spent hours
trying to figure out what was wrong with my DVD drive, when it was
connected to a useless socket.
4. It's quite picky about the DDR3 sticks it will support.  The Crucial
Ballistix ones from my old motherboard did not work and I had to get ones
with different specs.  The supported ones in the manual may no longer be
available, so it's tricky finding the right ones.  I'm using some Corsair
Vengeance Pro sticks now.

There are 6 regular SATA III sockets.  8 if you use the ones that could
otherwise be SATA express.  There's plenty of USB support, up to 3.1.  I
have 32 GB of ram in it now.