Handling unwanted email

Jonesy SPAM_TRAP_gmane at jonz.net
Thu Jul 9 18:35:04 UTC 2015

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 20:55:13 -0700, Noah wrote:

> I am migrating to a new hosting company and building a machine from scratch.
>
> What programs and strategies are people using to handle unwanted email -
> spam?   How are you keeping the rules updated to keep as much of the
> junk limited?

Well, first off, I am with a hosting company ( knthost.com ) that is
Death On Spammers and they do a Great Job of blocking most spam bots and
spammer networks.  They also pre-grade the email before I see it --
scoring via spamassassin.

Past that I use procmail to mainly filter email to targeted mail folders
in alpine.  Some of the late processing in my procmail scripts does
filter out 'stuff' that isn't really spam, but nonetheless is Very
Annoying to me.  :-)

I have a wildcard email account with them (probably grandfathered in...)
and I usually see only one or two spams get past the K&T Host system each
day.  (And my procmail scripts shunt those aside quite nicely.)

I also have a low-use, single-userid account there, and I cannot
remember the last time a spam slip by in that account.

Full disclosure: I also host a few web sites with K&T Host.

HTH
Jonesy
--
  Marvin L Jones    | Marvin      | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.238N 104.547W |  @ jonz.net | Jonesy |  FreeBSD