Question about USB 3.0 & Ubuntu

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Fri Jul 3 21:02:59 UTC 2015

On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 19:53:11 +0000
<agents4jesus at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>

> Sorry for the missing Subject line. It was an accident. ๐Ÿ˜Š
>

> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2015-June/281329.html
>
> Did anyone get this question? I havenโ€™t heard back from anyone ( sent
> it right at the end of the month, so it might not have been seen by
> people. ๐Ÿ˜‰)

Look, you really aren't helping yourself here. First of all, it's
considered bad form to post a question and then follow it up a few days
later with a new thread asking if anyone saw it. Following it up more
than once is even worse. As long as it reaches the list, people will see
it, and if they have a solution they might answer, when they have the
time. Be patient. Especially if there is a weekend coming up, people are
usually less busy then.

Long lines that aren't wrapped are hard to read for some people. Four
blank lines between each line of text makes it even harder to follow.
Things like these make people press "Delete" or "Next" instead of
"Reply".

Anyway, to get to your problem, the error message you quote lists
several possibilities. "Missing modules" is possible, but not likely if
it booted OK once. "Boot args", "Check root=" is more likely, especially
given the "ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid... does not exist" lower down.

What does this mean? It means that it is possible GRUB does not pass
the kernel the correct boot device. The devices might have been
reordered since the installation and first boot, for example if you
have connected another drive or USB stick since then, or if you had one
connected at that time that isn't connected now.

How do you fix that? Either make sure that the same devices are
connected, preferably to the same ports, that they were during
installation, or, when the system has dropped to the emergency shell,
give us the output of "ls -l /dev/disk/by-id" and we'll go from there
to try and give the kernel the correct parameters.

I'm not certain that this is the problem, it's just a possibility.
You could also have some weird BIOS/UEFI firmware bug that bites you,
it's hard to say. But Ubuntu should not have any problems with USB 3.0
devices, AFAIK.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"