USB Booting problems

agents4jesus at gmail.com agents4jesus at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 21:00:34 UTC 2015

Hi Everyone,

I recently tried installing Ubuntu 15.04 onto a USB 3.0 flash drive. The reason for this was to be able to keep the current OS on the HD, but still be able to run Ubuntu without dual booting and partitioning the HD, and without much speed loss.

Instead of burning a dvd, I used Pen Drive Linux’s Universal USB Installer, and put it on one of my 32GB USB 2.0 drives. Then I booted from that and partitioned my 3.0 drive and installed it there.

Well, it said that it was complete and so I rebooted. Of course, I had to F12 and select boot device. So it started up but then said it encountered some problems and dropped to ash.

I redid this, guessing that the install misfired, but it did the same thing.

So I booted up into my original OS on my HD (yes, Windows) and redownloaded the Universal USB Installer and also downloaded the 64-bit 15.04 (I was using 32 bit earlier).

So I redid all of that.

The first boot of the 3.0 looked fine, so I shut it down. A couple days later I booted it up and it did the same thing: It dropped down to ash.

Here is the error spew for this time around:

[          0.632437] ACPI PCC probe failed.
starting version 219
[          11.543738] usb 2-1: device not accepting address 2, error -62
Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
- Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
  - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
  - Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
- Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/a70031e8-eb1c-4620-8075-568746c1865a does not exist
Dropping to a shell!

BusyBox v1.22.1 (Ubuntu 1:1.22.0-9ubuntu1) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands

(initramfs)

Any suggestions on how to get this to work?

Oh, and I partitioned the 32GB drive like this: 28GB of ext4 and the rest as swap.

Maybe I partitioned it wrong…could anyone show me how to partition correctly (that and setting mount points and such)…

Thanks,

Tony