files disappeared

Linda haniganwork at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 3 16:15:11 UTC 2015

I am using Lubuntu 14.04.2.  I was looking at a file in a
directory earlier this morning and everything was fine. Then
I went back to check something and every file has
disappeared from that directory.
They do not appear in Trash and they do not appear in the
terminal window with a ls -la, however they do appear with
locate. They also don't appear in recent opened files in
Libre Office even though that is what I looked at them with.
Any ideas how or why they disappeared and how I can recover
them?
                        Thanks
                       Linda