Gedit - disabling "untitled document 1"

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Sat Jan 31 20:04:45 UTC 2015

Hello Karl,

Friday, January 30, 2015, 9:17:26 PM, Karl wrote:

> On Fri, 2015-01-30 at 20:50 -0800, NoOp wrote:
>> See:
>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gedit/+bug/796076>
>> and
>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gedit/+bug/890041>

> Colin asked whether the OP was running as root and was answered "no".
> Unless I've missed something, both the bugs you cite are related to
> using gedit via gksudo et al.

> Also, plenty of others in this thread (including me) do NOT have the
> OP's issue; if it were a general problem with gedit, I think we would.

> However - now wondering if OP might be running as root and be unaware of
> it...

The answer is still "no". :-)) That is mostly true in the bug
discussions, however the problem regarding use with Konqueror was also
mentioned, and considered to be a likely separate issue.

If I open gedit with Nautilus, it opens without the additional tab,
and closes without any additional dialogue - in other words, it
operates properly when not run as root [which I'm not doing].

If I open gedit with Konqueror, it opens WITH the additional tab, and
closes WITH the additional extended close dialogue. [Not run as root].

Looks like it has to do with KDE. That is probably the reason why not
that many people are seeing the problem I mentioned. If you CAN open
gedit correctly with a right click on a txt file in Konqueror, I'd
like to know how you can get that to work in 12.04.

As I mentioned, it looks like a compatibility issue between Ubuntu and
KDE.

Thanks much for the help...

--

 rikona