Sharing an external drive

Scott Blair scott.blair at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 15:17:37 UTC 2015

On 01/27/2015 09:50 PM, Scott Blair wrote:
> I am running Ubuntu 14.04. I am trying to share a directory on an
> external drive on my network. All the other computers are Windows
> computers. The network is workgroup. I have Samba installed. I have
> added force user = scott in it. I still get permission denied. The
> external drive is formatted ntfs according to Gparted. I have been
> working on this for 2 days now and I am getting nowhere with it.
> According to properties, the owner is Me the group is scott. This
> drive is automatically mounted when I boot up.

To share the folder I clicked on the folders properties, then go to
Local Network Share.  I then clicked the box marked Share this folder.
Shared name is PS3 SHARED. I then clicked on the box Allow others to
create and delete files in this folder. I also click on the box for
Guest access (for people without a user account). Then I clicked on
Modify Share. A box pops up and says:
Nautilus needs to add some permissions to your folder PS3 shared in
order to share it. The folder PS3 Shared needs the following extra
permissions for sharing to work:
-read permission by others
-write permission by others
-execute permission by others
Do you want Nautilus to add these permissions to the folder automatically?
Then I click on the button marked: Add the permissions automatically.

OK here is the smb.conf: http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/9918488/

Here is the workgroup:

# Change this to the workgroup/NT-domain name your Samba server will part of
	workgroup = workgroup

Here is the part about the external driver:
# Uncomment to allow remote administration of Windows print drivers.
# You may need to replace 'lpadmin' with the name of the group your
# admin users are members of.
# Please note that you also need to set appropriate Unix permissions
# to the drivers directory for these users to have write rights in it
;   write list = root, @lpadmin

[PS3 shared]
     path = /media/scott/My Book1/share/Movies/PS3 shared
     available = yes
     writeable = yes
     browseable = yes
     guest ok = yes
     force user = scott
     comment = movies

When trying to access it from any Windows computer I keep getting the
following boxed error:
Windows cannot access \\MAIN\PS3 SHARED

network administrator to request access.

When I browse the network in Ubuntu, I can access the directory just fine.

--

Scott Blair

Save on back up time BackupDevice=Null