System locks up, background operations continue running

Chris cpollock at embarqmail.com
Tue Jan 27 18:57:35 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-01-27 at 17:18 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
> On 27 January 2015 at 15:54, Chris <cpollock at embarqmail.com> wrote:
> > Colin
> > Thanks for the reply Colin, I 'attempted' to install 14.10 when it first
> > came out luckily I do a nightly backup to a 1Tb drive as it completely
> > hosed my machine for some reason but I won't get into that. I haven't
> > even looked at 15.04 yet is it in release stage or just as an RC? I see
> > now why the bisection is necessary, I've got the kernel bisection
> > information printed off and will get started on it. I've uploaded the
> > dmesg file from the 2nd lockup last night - http://pastebin.com/bM9iurrX
> > in my /etc/default/grub file I have this line -
> > GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="drm.debug=0x66" yes, the link does add more
> > confusion and I really don't want to get too far into 'trying' out
> > different things as even though it's just my home machine it's used
> > pretty much during the day for bill paying and so forth.
>
> So was 3.13.0-35 ok?
>
> If you have 20GB spare on the disk you could create a separate
> partition and install 15.10 (still in alpha, so certainly not
> guaranteed to be solid) or 15.04 there in order to try it with a view
> to upgrading at some point.
>
> Colin

I believe so Colin, I've gone back to 3.13.0-44 for now. I'll have to
download and install -35 again to check. I know I have 20Gb free, can it
be installed on a USB drive? I have a 1Tb with plenty of room. I need to
start another thread now with a new issue that has popped up since
yesterdays update :(

Chris

--
Chris