reinstall or just change name

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 24 20:19:30 UTC 2015

On 01/23/2015 12:52 PM, W Scott Lockwood III wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 1:39 PM, David Fletcher <dave at thefletchers.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2015-01-23 at 11:12 +0100, Gary J. Kirkpatrick wrote:
>> > I am selling my little laptop.  Should I reinstall the operating
>> > system, which I presume would be a better way to remove my files
>  > > (albeit imperfect) or should I just change the user name/password?
>  > I'd feel inclined to use Boot and Nuke
>  > http://www.dban.org/
>  > first, then re-install.
>  > Dave
>
> Yes, what Dave said. DBAN is the best.

I reckon that most in this thread will remember bits of this :-)

<http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/204035>
(data shredder)

Amedee's & Rashkae's excellent dd suggestions will suffice for your puposes.

Might also be of help/interest:
<http://www.itsprite.com/3-best-tools-to-delete-data-securely-in-linux/>
<http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/documentation/shred-files-wipe-disk>
<http://askubuntu.com/questions/267805/how-to-use-bleachbit-to-remove-completely-any-selected-file-or-folder>

If you are interested in using the ATA Secure Erase method, have a look
here:

<https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase>
<http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/62253/what-is-the-difference-between-ata-secure-erase-and-security-erase-how-can-i-en>

106 minutes for my 320 GB drive:
Security:
	Master password revision code = 65534
		supported
	not	enabled
	not	locked
	not	frozen
	not	expired: security count
		supported: enhanced erase
	106min for SECURITY ERASE UNIT. 106min for ENHANCED SECURITY ERASE UNIT.