Freezing system

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 10:41:59 UTC 2015

On 22 January 2015 at 07:22, Scott Blair <scott.blair at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am running Ubuntu 14.04. I have all the updates that have been issued.
> Sometimes my system will freeze rendering the keyboard useless. However
> the mouse still works. But clicking on anything doesn't work. But today when
> it froze, while I was watching an imbedded video, I could click on the
> status
> bar and hear that it changed places, even though the status bar icon did not
> move. While the video was frozen, the audio was still working. My CPU
> status,
> net status and clock even stops, I have the clock showing seconds to make
> sure it froze up.
>
> I write down the times it freezes and look at the syslog file, but to my
> untrained eye, I don't see anything. I have yet to find, in the syslog
> file, the
> time that it froze up. Am I looking in the right place? Should I be
> looking at
> other logs? Any idea on what to look for?

What graphics chip do you have? FOSS driver or any possible proprietary driver?

If it's a proprietary one, look for upgrades. If there aren't any, try
switching to the FOSS one.

If it's the FOSS one, see if there's a proprietary one.

May also be worth trying the latest kernel backport from Utopic:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/506956/how-can-i-install-3-16-kernel-on-ubuntu-14-04