Software Uptater problems

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 09:39:54 UTC 2015

On 14 January 2015 at 05:10, Bob <ubuntu-qygzanxc at listemail.net> wrote:
> A few weeks ago I had internet connectivity problems.  At that time (on my
> disktop computer) Software Updater tried to run and ended because it could not
> get all the then current updates.  The last two times the Software Updater has
> tried to run (when I click on the Software Updater icon) its window will not
> display.  The Software Updater works properly on my laptop.
>
> When the system determines that there are updates available it puts an icon in
> the launcher.  When I click on the icon to run the updater an arrow appears on
> the left side of the icon to indicate the program is running but no window
> opens.  Clicking again on the icon the window still will not open.  The icon
> will stay that way until I right click on the icon and select "Quit".

To make sure everything up to date, whilst trying to get the updater
showing again, if you open a terminal window (search for Terminal in
the Dash, or hit Ctrl+Alt+T) and type
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Do you sometimes have a second display connected.  I wonder whether
the updater window is appearing on the second display, which is not
connected.

Also did you start the updater and give it a couple of minutes to make
sure it did not popup after a while?

To further investigate what is happening with the graphical updater,
in the terminal run
update-manager
and see what happens.  If any messages appear in the terminal
copy/paste them here. To copy from the terminal use Ctrl+Shift+C.

Colin