backups, file systems, media

John Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Tue Jan 13 05:02:05 UTC 2015

ubuntu 13.10 on sda7, 14.10 on sda5, 13.10 works.  I want to move my
home directory (sep partition) to an off line media.  I tried a usb
stick  and had problems (invalid files, etc.) and I realized that the
usb stick is hosting a fat32 file system, which does not support
permissions, and I don't know what else.

I have dvd-ram media, but I understand that the ext file systems are not
good for dvd-ram, as it reads/writes too much to a certain spot, wearing
out the media.

How do I easily move my data off so I can install a new HD (2TB), 6 GB
and virtual machine next, and put the data back, after installing 14.10
from the bare metal up.

tia,
John