problem with Brother MFC7460DN

sktsee sktseer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 23:53:53 UTC 2015

On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 12:50:34 -0800, Dave Stevens wrote:

> Recently a new installation of Ubuntu 12.04.5 and updates made it
> necessary to redo the drivers for this printer/scanner. Plugging in the
> usb connecting cable gave immediate recognition that the device was
> there, even the serial number was shown in dmesg. Brother's driver
> download and install did a successful test print.
>
> The scanner driver that was part of that install has given a situation
> where I can not insert (in LO) an image from the device - just blows up.
> Likewise xsane doesn't find the device. BUT if I sudo xsane then I get a
> death threat from the developers and then the xsane scan works
> perfectly, giving a scanned file with root permissions, which I can
> change.
>
> So some sort of permissions issue with xsane and I don't know what about
> the printer driver. When I try to print from LO or CUPS the job
> apparently runs, the device's two line LCD shows "receiving data" but
> nothing ever prints.
>
> Advice? Other places to look?

You might try and load the drivers provided by Brother directly.
The following page has printer, scanner, fax, and fax modem drivers.

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?
c=eu_ot&lang=en&prod=mfc7460dn_all&os=128

You can try the Driver Install Tool to install the drivers, but I have a
Brother HL-2275DW printer and I didn't get very good results with it.
Eventually, I just manually installed the Generic CUPSwrapper and Generic
LPR driver packages and then manually set up the printer through the
Ubuntu's printer setup dialog. I did notice that the tool is at a much
newer version that what I used, so they may have fixed the bugs that I
ran into.

For the scanner drivers, you obviously want the one matching your
machine architecture and the scanner settings package. The udev rules
provided by the libsane package doesn't contain any entries for Brother
scanners, so your scanner device probably doesn't get the proper
permissions and ownership setup up when it's detected. Brother's scanner
settings package will install a udev rule for your device that should set
ownership and perms up correctly.

You may also have to add your username to the "scanner" group if it still
has a problem with permissions.

--
sktsee