not able to add openvpn connection to network manager "VPN Connections"

robert rottermann robert at redcor.ch
Fri Jan 2 12:48:55 UTC 2015

Hi there

happy new year to you all!

I wonder how I could add a openvpn connection using the system setting
network manager.

What I have is a openvpn.conf file and a *.p12 key file.

creating a vpn connection by hand  by executing
openvpn XX.conf (where XX is the name of the config) file works fine.

But when I try to add to connection to network manager executing the
following chain:
system settings->Network->+->VPN->create->OpenVpN->Create.>Type Password
with Certificates (TLS) ->User Certificate -> (here I select my p12 file)

the strangest things start to happen:
- cpu usage goes trough the ceiling
- the entry I just added "wanders" slowly from one dropdown list to the
other..

can anybody tell me how to do this right?

thanks
robert