synaptics package maneger

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jan 2 05:34:28 UTC 2015

On Thursday 01 January 2015 19:39:40 C de-Avillez did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 13:07:08 -0500
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > On 10.04.4 LTS, synaptics is the cats meow, doing what it should be
> > able to do.
> >
> > But on the new mint-17.1 LTS Cinnamon, its best described as broken
> > as two of its most useful features seem to have disappeared, which
> > are:
> >
> > 1, the ability to refresh, is there, but the ability to mark all
> > upgrades is gone.
>
> Huh? Here I can do it... on any of 12.04, 14.10, or 15.04. No 10.04
> anymore, sorry.

There is simply no button in the gui, nor an option in the menu pulldowns
for a "mark all updates".  And while you can get a list of stuff that can
be updated, when you click on that file, the only option is to remove it,
or remove it completely, and 31 of the 32 packages so named also remove
cinnamon.  The one thing I didn't try was a sudo apt-get reinstall
synaptic.

FWIW, I wiped a 12.04 LTS install on that disk and that version of
synaptic had also been similarly neutered.  I did use it to install 95% of
the apt-this and apt-that packages, restarting it to see if any of those
capabilities would come back as another poster suggested, but bad dog, no
biscuit.

Aptitude seems to fare no better, but a lot of that may be because I
haven't run it for several years and have forgotten its hot keys.

The import function in kmail exits at about the 50% point, without error,
and of course will not put the stuff it is importing where you want to put
it.  That 50% point was something north of 35,000 messages.

> > 2, regardless of the dependency listings shown, such as a dependency
> > on libboost-python >=1.40, it cannot find it when the installed
> > version is 1.55, nor about 20 other packages most of which are
> > present in newer versions.
>
> This is rather strange. It Works For Me(TM).

I've even used that trademark myself. :)

> I wonder about the version
> strings and provenance of these packages. Can you please
> clarify/expand?

See www.buildbot.linuxcnc.org where there are instructions that I presume
work with the various buntu's. So I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and
go get the latest LTS, 14.04.1 IIRC.

> (I actually rely on Synaptics to do most of my package searches, and
> eventual updates. Like, for example, looking for debug packages when
> looking at a crash.)

So do I here on 10.04.4, its hands down the best front end for apt ever.

Oh, does anyone know what it is that tries to start the networking, but
doesn't recognize that its up and running while they are sitting and
waiting 60 seconds at least twice in the boot.  Makes booting extremely
slow.  Also, NFS won't because idmapd isn't running or maybe not even
installed.

Thanks.  It doesn't fix my problem, but I appreciate the reply.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)