port 5060, was Re: [OT] router ports & DMZ

thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 10:35:48 UTC 2015

On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 12:14:20 +0530, Jatin khatri wrote:

> check you what is your live ip given by your ISP, and scan your live ip
> from outside may be following[1] can help
>
> [1] http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/port-scan/

Oh, the double NAT is a red herring; sorry for bringing it up.  I just
wanted to explain why I can't do certain tests.  If I didn't have a
double NAT situation, that'd be great -- but I do.  For the purposes of
this thread, no outside connectivity is actually required.

I'm only interested, at this stage, in SIP to SIP within the network.
Outside connective isn't a concern right now.

two boxes:  tleilax and doge.  Tleilax is running Asterisk.

The router always gives tleilax the same ip address; not sure that this
really a "static" ip address -- but it's always the same, at least.
Tleilax uses DHCP to acquire an IP adddress.

All I want to do, or the hurdle, is for doge to connect to tleilax with a
softphone.  However, since the router blocks ports, that's not
possible...right?

thufir at doge:~$
thufir at doge:~$ nmap -p 5060 192.168.1.1

Starting Nmap 6.46 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2015-02-17 02:31 PST
Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.1
Host is up (0.00045s latency).
PORT     STATE  SERVICE
5060/tcp closed sip

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.04 seconds
thufir at doge:~$

so long as the router shows that port as closed, the connection will
always be refused.  Right?

-Thufir