Trying to set up encrypted swap

John Hupp ubuntu at prpcompany.com
Tue Feb 10 21:40:17 UTC 2015

On 2/9/2015 3:08 AM, Petter Adsen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to set up encrypted swap on my 14.10 machine with
> "ecryptfs-setup-swap". I have two swap partitions of 4GB each, on
> separate SSD's. Here's the output:
>
> root at fenris:~$ ecryptfs-setup-swap
>
> WARNING:
> An encrypted swap is required to help ensure that encrypted files are
> not leaked to disk in an unencrypted format.
>
> HOWEVER, THE SWAP ENCRYPTION CONFIGURATION PRODUCED BY THIS PROGRAM
> WILL BREAK HIBERNATE/RESUME ON THIS SYSTEM!
>
> NOTE: Your suspend/resume capabilities will not be affected.
>
> Do you want to proceed with encrypting your swap? [y/N]: y
>
> INFO: Setting up swap: [/dev/sdb2]
> WARNING: Commented out your unencrypted swap from /etc/fstab
> INFO: Setting up swap: [/dev/sdc2]
> WARNING: Commented out your unencrypted swap from /etc/fstab
> stop: Unknown instance:
>
> And then it just sits there. I started this last night, and it's still
> not finished, doesn't produce any output, and there is no significant
> load. From what I can see, there's nothing in the logs either.
>
> What does the "stop: Unknown instance:" mean? It can't be taking 10+
> hours to complete, so what do I do? Kill it and start again?
>
> I'd really appreciate any advice.
>
> Petter

I have been trying to figure this out also.  Key info at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ecryptfs-utils/+bug/1310058
and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ecryptfs-utils/+bug/953875

As I understand it to date, one workaround is to patch the
ecryptfs-setup-swap script per Comment #3 in bug 1310058, or else to run
the set of commands provided in the Bug Description on the same page to
fix up the flawed result of the script.