rplay fails to run

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 10 21:23:37 UTC 2015

hi,

Am Dienstag, den 10.02.2015, 21:19 +0100 schrieb Maurizio Dall'Acqua:

> Since there isn't /dev/dsp in a default Ubuntu system what can replace
> it? I mean can I create a symlink to /dev/default-ubuntu-audio-device?
> If so, what is it?

/dev/dsp is an OSS device, OSS was long replaced by ALSA and backwards
compatibility was dropped along the way after OSS wasnt in use any more
for many years ....

you will not be able to just create a symlink simply because there will
be no device that functions the same way /dev/dsp does/did ... if rplay
is still maintained i would assume it has an ALSA mode that you can
enable via the configuration ...

there is one other way you could achieve access to a fake /dev/dsp which
you most likely wont like ... that would be by running rplay on top of
pulseaudio ... for apps that can not be forward ported to ALSA from the
old OSS architecture there is the padsp tool that you can prefix to any
application you want to run ...

so something like:
sudo padsp rplay -d

should actually show you rplay connecting to a dsp device (even if there
is none) ...
but indeed the above means you have to have two sound servers installed
with one running on top of the other (and then both running on top of
the ALSA layer)

ciao
	oli