Antivirus on the Linux desktop (was ClamAv oddity)

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Fri Dec 11 18:19:38 UTC 2015

On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 09:50:48 -0700, compdoc wrote:
>>For my Windows installs on Linux hosts I
>>switched from Avira to Avast. Avira IMO still is the better software
>
>I recently switched from Avast to Avira on Windows, because Avast was
>sucking up too many resources and slowing down my PC. Avira has worked
>well for the last few months.

Avira life cycle could be important, at least for XP users:

https://www.avira.com/en/support-product-lifecycle

Running XP in a VM for some purpose is still not a bad idea, perhaps
for this purpose antivir software isn't need, but you never know. I only
installed an additional Win 7, because some needed software (iTunes),
forced me to do so. It's discontinued for XP and I need to transmit
audio and graphic productions from my iPad to my Linux PC and vice
versa.

Avira engine upgrades could become a PITA, most of the times removing
and reinstalling Avira fixes the problem. One day, a few days after an
upgrade, I switched to Avast, because Avira needed to fix a serious bug
and it took to long for me to wait.