Antivirus on the Linux desktop (was ClamAv oddity)

John Hupp ubuntu at prpcompany.com
Fri Dec 11 15:51:41 UTC 2015

On 12/11/2015 10:37 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 11 December 2015 at 16:19, John Hupp <ubuntu at prpcompany.com> wrote:
>> All-in-all, not a pretty state of affairs for resident A/V on the Linux
>> desktop.  (Though there are some better solutions for Linux servers.)  I'd
>> be happy to find that someone has done a new survey and found better
>> developments.  I'd even be happy to find that I'd drawn the wrong
>> conclusions!
> True, but there's a reason for this, which is that the security
> threats which do affect Linux are not viruses, so antivirus really is
> not much help. Much the same applies to Mac OS X, although a resident
> scanner can help a little against Trojans, which are more of a problem
> on Macs.

I believe that, but it could also be noted that current "antivirus"
products all protect against more than viruses and Trojans.  I don't
count myself as knowledgeable on the topic, but if A/V products aimed to
defend against browser exploits, for instance, that would be of high
value.  Maybe you know?