Updating the Lenovo IdeaPad B50-70 BIOS in Ubuntu

Drac_0 drac.noc at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 16:14:16 UTC 2015

On Saturday 25 April 2015 16:42:12 Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Hello Guys,
>
> I bought a Lenovo B50-70 without any OS on it (not even FreeDOS) and
> installed Ubuntu 14.04 on it without any problems. Everything works great.
>
> I noticed there is a new version of my Laptop's BIOS (Currently I have
> v2.07 and the new one in v3.0) and I wanted to update...
>
> Silly me... We live in Bill Gate's world...
>

>    1. There is no way to install the BIOS from within the current BIOS
>    (like with Asus).
>    2. There is no DOS-like BIOS installer on the Lenovo Support site
>    3. No option for Linux, DOS or Other in the OS list (Only Win7 & 8)
>
> Arghhhh!
>
> Trying to run the Window installer under Hiren's BootCD's Mini WinXP gives
> me the "Insert System Battery" error...
>
> I know there there are command line tools in Ubuntu to manipulate the BIOS.
>
> The BIOS Management firmware on the laptop is InsydeH20 v3.7
>
> Is it safe to do it with the BIOS utils in the Ubuntu repos?
>
> Is there a way to do it without involving the Redmond BSOD Giant?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Amichai.

It should be possible to install FreeDOS onto a USB stick along with the BIOS
update and boot from there. If successful, switch to drive C: and you should
be able to DIR the BIOS update and execute it.

I found a very helpful site here -

http://chtaube.eu/computers/freedos/bootable-usb/

Good luck!

Drac.