Nullifying requirement to reboot after kernel update

William Scott Lockwood III scott at guppylog.com
Mon Apr 13 13:53:33 UTC 2015

On Apr 13, 2015 8:48 AM, "Chris" <cpollock at embarqmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2015-04-13 at 09:25 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> > > That's why I mentioned in my initial post above Gene that I'm not
> > > running the 'standard' kernel but an updated drm-intel kernel from the
> > > link I provided. I'm running this kernel because of the video lockups
> > > I'd been getting and the bug report I made here -
> > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1402331 and I'm
> > > also running an updated xf86-video-intel driver. So far this
combination
> > > has worked. In order to track how long this combination will go
without
> > > a lockup I need to be able to ignore the mandatory reboot after a
> > > standard Ubuntu kernel update.
> >
> > AFAIK, the message about rebooting after a kernel's installed is
> > triggered by "/etc/kernel/postinst.d/update-notifier".
> >
> Thanks Tom, I see what it does, runs a small script which puts this
> in /var/run
>
> echo "*** $(eval_gettext "System restart required") ***"
> > /var/run/reboot-required
> echo "$DPKG_MAINTSCRIPT_PACKAGE" >> /var/run/reboot-required.pkgs
>
> Hmm, wonder what would break if I just removed the script link in
> /etc/kernel/postinst.d/update-notifier and the actual script
> in /usr/share/update-notifier probably break the system or maybe it
> would be regenerated. I wouldn't actually remove it anyway just move to
> another folder within the main folder it's in now.

It's a shell script, so just edit it to add 'exit 0' at the top of the
script. Then, you can always chattr +I the script to prevent an update from
reverting your change. Any update to the package that maintains it will
fail, but that's ok, since you can simply update that package seperately
and readd your modification after removing the i bit with chattr if you
ever need to update that specific package.