Nullifying requirement to reboot after kernel update

Chris cpollock at embarqmail.com
Mon Apr 13 13:48:03 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-04-13 at 09:25 -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 8:24 AM, Chris <cpollock at embarqmail.com> wrote:

> >> If it tells you to reboot, it does so because that is the only way to get
> >> the bug or security fixed version of the software it just updated into
> >> operation and your machine then armored against the security exploit.
> >>
> >> If you do not reboot, you will be leaving your system in a buggy or
> >> vulnerable condition.
> >
> > That's why I mentioned in my initial post above Gene that I'm not
> > running the 'standard' kernel but an updated drm-intel kernel from the
> > link I provided. I'm running this kernel because of the video lockups
> > I'd been getting and the bug report I made here -
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1402331 and I'm
> > also running an updated xf86-video-intel driver. So far this combination
> > has worked. In order to track how long this combination will go without
> > a lockup I need to be able to ignore the mandatory reboot after a
> > standard Ubuntu kernel update.
>
> AFAIK, the message about rebooting after a kernel's installed is
> triggered by "/etc/kernel/postinst.d/update-notifier".

Thanks Tom, I see what it does, runs a small script which puts this
in /var/run

echo "*** $(eval_gettext "System restart required") ***"
> /var/run/reboot-required
echo "$DPKG_MAINTSCRIPT_PACKAGE" >> /var/run/reboot-required.pkgs

Hmm, wonder what would break if I just removed the script link in
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/update-notifier and the actual script
in /usr/share/update-notifier probably break the system or maybe it
would be regenerated. I wouldn't actually remove it anyway just move to
another folder within the main folder it's in now.

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C