Nullifying requirement to reboot after kernel update

Chris cpollock at embarqmail.com
Mon Apr 13 12:24:49 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-04-13 at 01:23 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Sunday 12 April 2015 22:21:52 Chris wrote:
> > The subject says it all. Based upon the fact that I'm running a
> > non-standard kernel from here -
> > http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/drm-intel-next/ whenever
> > a support Ubuntu kernel comes down the pike such as 3.13* I'd like to
> > go ahead and install it but not go through the reboot process because
> > I'll continue to run the kernel shown below or a newer version is
> > required. Is there a setting where I can comment out the reboot nag?
> >
> > Chris
>
> If it tells you to reboot, it does so because that is the only way to get
> the bug or security fixed version of the software it just updated into
> operation and your machine then armored against the security exploit.
>
> If you do not reboot, you will be leaving your system in a buggy or
> vulnerable condition.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
That's why I mentioned in my initial post above Gene that I'm not
running the 'standard' kernel but an updated drm-intel kernel from the
link I provided. I'm running this kernel because of the video lockups
I'd been getting and the bug report I made here -
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1402331 and I'm
also running an updated xf86-video-intel driver. So far this combination
has worked. In order to track how long this combination will go without
a lockup I need to be able to ignore the mandatory reboot after a
standard Ubuntu kernel update.

Chris

--
Chris