Nullifying requirement to reboot after kernel update

Tony Baechler - BATS bats at batsupport.com
Mon Apr 13 06:14:40 UTC 2015

On 2015-04-12 10:23 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Sunday 12 April 2015 22:21:52 Chris wrote:
>> The subject says it all. Based upon the fact that I'm running a
>> non-standard kernel from here -
>> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/drm-intel-next/ whenever
>> a support Ubuntu kernel comes down the pike such as 3.13* I'd like to
>> go ahead and install it but not go through the reboot process because
>> I'll continue to run the kernel shown below or a newer version is
>> required. Is there a setting where I can comment out the reboot nag?
>>
>> Chris
>
> If it tells you to reboot, it does so because that is the only way to get
> the bug or security fixed version of the software it just updated into
> operation and your machine then armored against the security exploit.

No, that's not correct.  I know of two ways around this.  Look at the
"ksplice" and "kexec-tools" packages.  Probably ksplice isn't quite what
you're looking for, but using the kexec call within the kernel sounds like
what you want.  Note that I haven't personally used either, so reports on
success or failure would be of interest.  Also, look at "petitboot" which
uses the kexec call.