Compatibility between M$ Office and LibreOffice

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Apr 7 14:04:06 UTC 2015

At Tue, 07 Apr 2015 23:30:41 +1000 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2015-04-07 at 09:15 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
> > M$ trash macros == major security hole, allowing macro viruses.  This feature
> > is not present in OOo or LO.
>
> Well, yes and no. LibreOffice programs *do* have their own embedded
> programming languagem it is a variant of Basic, and you *can* record,
> write and run macros. LibreOffice even partly supports VBA macros,
> though they need to be translated (or have headers added) before they
> will work in LO native format docs.

My understanding is the M$ put too much capability into their macro language
-- gave it access to parts of the system that it really should not have, that
is they did not properly sandbox it.  I suspect that LibreOffice's macro
language is properly sandboxed, which probably means that some M$ macros won't
work, even if translated.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933