Several ISO's on one USB stick

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Wed Apr 1 12:41:53 UTC 2015

On Wed, 01 Apr 2015 14:28:33 +0200
Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:

> Petter Adsen wrote:
> > Is it possible to have several ISO images on one USB stick, and a
> > boot menu to choose which one to boot from?
>
> Yes.

I thought so :)

> > Does anyone know of a tool for
> > Linux that can do this? I've found something that seems to do this,
> > but it's only for Windows.
>
> I don't know a special tool for it.

Parveen suggested a tool called "sardu" (Thank you, Parveen!) and I
have downloaded and looked at it. Unfortunately, it is 32-bit only, and
it seems it only wants to install from a built-in list of images that
it wants to download itself. I haven't looked too carefully, as I was
examining it now. It is also a little difficult to work out, and not
open source. Pity, as it could be very useful. I will need to examine
it further.

> > Even if such a tool doesn't exist, I'd be really happy to get any
> > tips on how to approach this with, for instance, GRUB.
>
> My USB stick looks like this: It is formatted with FAT32 so that I can
> also easily use it with Windows machines. IIRC I partitioned it with
> gparted to get some extra space at the beginning for the grub files.
> fdisk shows this layout:

<snip>
> On the stick I have a /isos folder where the images are stored.
> Furthermore I have installed GRUB to the stick to make it bootable and
> in /boot/grub I have a grub.cfg file like this:
<snip>
> This doesn't start the images with the start menu from the image
> though. Therefore I had to find out the extra boot options for the
> language and keyboard. Otherwise it would use the default. In the
> past the linux line was a bit different, so it may also change for
> newer versions than 14.04.

Thank you very much, that was very helpful. I think I will go with this
approach, as it seems very flexible and straightforward.

I wish all of you a happy easter holiday! :)

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"