Blu-ray problem

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 29 22:50:20 UTC 2014

On 09/29/2014 01:43 PM, Bob wrote:
> ** Reply to message from NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> on Mon, 29 Sep 2014
> 10:42:03 -0700
>
>> On 09/28/2014 07:53 PM, Bob wrote:
>> > ** Reply to message from NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> on Sun, 28 Sep 2014
>> > 17:47:07 -0700

>> Sure you can. SMPlayer and VLC can play *non-protected* bluray videos.
>> http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2014/04/smplayer-play-blu-ray-discs/
>
> I had tried SMPlayer and Mplayer previously without success.  Since the URL is
> for a newer version I tried it again.  Still nothing will play the video.

>> > Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.
>> >
>> > Using Ubuntu 14.04 and Firefox 32.0.3 and doing
>> >
>> > "https://help.ubuntu.com/"
>> > "type 'bluray' in the search box."
>> >
>> > I get a message
>> >
>> > "Search Results
>> >
>> > So I used another operating system (OS/2) and looked at some of the 505 results
>> > for the search.  I see the same procedures that I have already done (as I have
>> > shown in a previous message) and which did not get Bluray working.
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/BluRayAndHDDVD
>
> I had already been to that web page and ignored it as it is four years old.

And still (AFAIK) is still pretty much applicable.

>> > If you know which one of those search results is the one that will get Bluray
>> > working please post its URL.
>> >

>> Actually your issue appears to be with Advanced Access Content System
>> (AACS) encrypted *protected* bluray video's... correct?
>
> AACS may be the problem but I don't know that for sure.  I do have some AACS
> keys ~/.config/aacs.

The keys that you installed:
<quote>
cd ~/.config/aacs/ && wget http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/files/KEYDB.cfg
</quote>

Are 1) 4 years old[1] so probably won't work on any newer videos, 2) I
doubt the keys were ever legal to begin - so use at your own risk.

[1] <http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/>
"get the file UPDATED 20-04-2012!"
[2] $ host vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name
vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name has address 89.31.117.59
vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name has address 212.40.45.2

>> If so you should
>> be asking this on some other list as the practice is/can be construed as
>> being illegal in multiple countries.
>
> I am not trying to copy the videos I have purchased, just trying to view them
> so I don't see why that would be illegal anywhere.

I understand & I am not the DMCA or AACS nanny/police just letting you
know...
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Access_Content_System>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AACS_encryption_key_controversy>

> What list would you recommend?

Try the VLC or SMPlayer forums. Or
<http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=ca9f1f0ec75cdf5754c71ed0fac7f082>

> Since VLC and MPlayer both say they can display Bluray videos I am just trying
> to get one of them working.  I have had to install other software to get VLC to
> display some of my DVD videos which is why I am spending most of my time trying
> to get it working with Bluray.

Maybe this will be of some help:
<http://www.libregeek.org/2013/06/16/30-days-of-linux-day-6-blu-ray-ripping-time-with-makemkv-and-handbrake-2/>