upgrade 12.04->14.04

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 19:59:39 UTC 2014

On 27 September 2014 19:40, steve reilly <steve at reillyblog.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> its been awhile since ive had to think about this, well, since i
> installed 12.04.  Ive got some home business related databases running
> on this desktop, billing software and such and a teamviewer seat
> license attached, so i want to be sure everything will be ok.
> databases are backed up several times a week, so no worries there.
>
> Question is: if I upgrade this kernel to 14.04, will the other 12.04
> kernels I have that currently work fine still be available after I
> upgrade this one? you know.  just in case this one gets borked.  Ive
> already seen messages pre upgrade that one of the older nvidia cards i
> use wont work properly, so somewhat worried. one is a 9800gt, the
> other is an fx5200.

Can you explain why you want to upgrade just the kernel?  Or perhaps
that is not what you mean.  An upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04 does much more
than just upgrade the kernel.  It upgrades all the other software too,
so no, you cannot easily go back, you would have to re-install 12.04.

If you want to make sure 14.04 will run ok on your machine then try it
by booting off the downloaded 14.04 image on DVD or, preferably, USB
stick and make sure it goes ok.  To be ultra cautious you could create
a 10GB partition on the disk, install 14.04 onto that partition, and
then you would be able to boot into 12.04 or 14.04.  When you have
convinced yourself it is ok then upgrade 12.04.

Colin