Very, very, VERY weird event

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Sat Sep 27 02:54:24 UTC 2014

Here's a good one.

I logged into my home server to start a backup. Ran "mount" to see if
the backup disk had mounted itself. It had - but two other USB HDDs
normally mounted on boot were apparently not mounted! Argh! Home
directories and a bunch of other stuff are on those drives, so this was
a big problem.

Note: The "mount" command showed no drives mounted except the internal
HDD.

I thought "darn, things will have been written to the mount points on
the internal HDD", and sure enough, lots of files were visible under the
mount points. So to see what sort of job I had ahead of me, I ran "du
-s" on one of the mount points - and it said there were 57GB of data
under it.

Note: The internal HDD has one partition, of 10GB. "df -k" reported only
3GB used.

I placed a new file in the mount point directory, and rebooted. The
external HDDs mounted as normal - and the new file was visible on the
mounted drive! Everything seems back to normal as far as I can tell.

So it looks to me as if the drives were mounted all along, but the
"mount" utility was not reporting them.

Google is not much help because all the terms are so common (mount, USB
etc).

Is this something anyone else has seen? Are there any reliable ways to
see what's mounted apart from the "mount" command? I stupidly didn't
check /proc/mounts...

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: EC67 61E2 C2F6 EB55 884B E129 072B 0AF0 72AA 9882
Old fingerprint: B862 FB15 FE96 4961 BC62 1A40 6239 1208 9865 5F9A