KB shortcut to disable the touchpad

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Thu Sep 25 17:03:48 UTC 2014

On 09/25/2014 08:14 AM, Jkhatri wrote:
> On Thursday 25 September 2014 05:20 PM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>> Good evening
>> Sorry for bothering everybody so frequently.
>>
>> I have a Dell Vostro 3500(?). That thing has a key combination to
>> temporarily disable the touchpad:
>> Fn + F6.
>>
>> The two machines I am currently using to "practice Linux" (Mouse
>> Computer TW9 / Dell Inspiron 1545)
>> apparently do NOT have such keys.
>> I know I can disable the touchpad via "Settings", but ...
>> it would be REALLY nice, if it were possible to assign a KB shortcut to
>> that operation.
>>
>> IS that posssible?
>> If so, how is it achieved?
>>
>> Thank you in advance

I don't know exactly what you need to do, but there is a program called synaptiks
(notice the "k") that will disable the touchpad when a mouse is plugged into a usb
port. It's in the pclos repos and it definitely works on a Dell laptop--no function
keys required. apparently it has been available for Ubuntu, and may not presently be.
Google has a number of entries re synaptiks and Ubuntu.

--doug