KB shortcut to disable the touchpad

Jkhatri khatri.jatin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 12:14:56 UTC 2014

On Thursday 25 September 2014 05:20 PM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
> Good evening
> Sorry for bothering everybody so frequently.
>
> I have a Dell Vostro 3500(?). That thing has a key combination to
> temporarily disable the touchpad:
> Fn + F6.
>
> The two machines I am currently using to "practice Linux" (Mouse
> Computer TW9 / Dell Inspiron 1545)
> apparently do NOT have such keys.
> I know I can disable the touchpad via "Settings", but ...
> it would be REALLY nice, if it were possible to assign a KB shortcut to
> that operation.
>
> IS that posssible?
> If so, how is it achieved?
>
> Thank you in advance

try following ....

get the device id of your touchpad using command "xinput list"

( for more info. do man xinput )

i..e output on my laptop is as follow

me at mylaptop:~  xinput list

⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave
pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ OKL Wireless Mouse OKL Wireless Mouse       id=10    [slave
pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint TouchPad            id=12    [slave
pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ DualPoint Stick                             id=13    [slave
pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
     ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave
keyboard (3)]
     ↳ Power Button                                id=6    [slave
keyboard (3)]
     ↳ Video Bus                                   id=7    [slave
keyboard (3)]
     ↳ Power Button                                id=8    [slave
keyboard (3)]
     ↳ Sleep Button                                id=9    [slave
keyboard (3)]
     ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard                id=11    [slave
keyboard (3)]
     ↳ Dell WMI hotkeys                            id=14    [slave
keyboard (3)]

my touchpad device id is 12

disable it using following command

xinput set-prop 12 "Device Enabled" 0

if you want to re-enable it use following command

xinput set-prop 12 "Device Enabled" 1

now write a script containing above commands , assigned it to some
custom key-board short cuts

!!!!

Warm Regards

--

*/

Jatin Khatri

RHCSA RHCE CCNA

www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin <http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin>

Save Paper, Save Environment.**
/*(Plant at least one tree in your life and nurture it !!!)*/