Upgrading to 14.04 gives problems II

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 06:23:37 UTC 2014

On 21 September 2014 22:18, J.L. Blom <joep at neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> On 21/09/14 16:50, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> On 21 September 2014 15:19, J.L. Blom <joep at neuroweave.nl> wrote:
>> I think we are getting to the core of the issue. What do you get for
>> apt-cache policy openjdk-7-jre-headless apt-cache policy liblcms2-2 and, if
>> that shows that liblcms2-2 is not installed sudo apt-get install liblcms2-
>
> Colin
>
> Colin,
> Just came back home, after I had written my mail I got a call to replace
> somebody. Just had time to eat.
> But I followed your advice and I think we come to the heart of the matter,
> i.e. the wrong package for liblcms2-2, as the following indicates:
> joep at laguna:~/Documenten/Databases$ apt-cache policy openjdk-7-jre-headless
> openjdk-7-jre-headless:
>   Installed: 7u65-2.5.2-3~14.04
>   Candidate: 7u65-2.5.2-3~14.04
>   Version table:
>  *** 7u65-2.5.2-3~14.04 0
>         500 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main amd64
> Packages
>         500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security/main amd64
> Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      7u51-2.4.6-1ubuntu4 0
>         500 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
> joep at laguna:~/Documenten/Databases$
> joep at laguna:~/Documenten/Databases$ apt-cache policy liblcms2-2
> liblcms2-2:
> *  Installed: 2.6-3ubuntu1~precise1**
> **  Candidate: 2.6-3ubuntu1~precise1*
>   Version table:
>  *** 2.6-3ubuntu1~precise1 0
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      2.5-0ubuntu4 0
>         500 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
> The liblcms2-2 is apparently the old precise one. SO I assume I have to
> remove that library and install the trusty one or could I just re-install
> that library?

I guess that will have come from one of the ppas you had on precise,
and because it is later than the trusty one it has not been replaced.
I don't fully understand why it is a problem as it is later than the
one that the other packages depend on so I would have thought they
would be happy with it.  However I am sure the thing to do is return
it to the standard version. Try this as a dry run first using

sudo apt-get install -s liblcms2-2=2.5-0ubuntu4

and make sure it is not going to cause havoc.  It may well say it has
to remove some stuff so make sure it doesn't look as if it is going to
remove anything that might cause problems.  If it is just packages
like openjdk for example you can put them back if you need them.
Assuming it looks ok then run it without -s.

If that goes ok then start again at the top by installing wine, and if
it still won't go in then work down the chain (which may not be quite
the same as before) till you find the offending package.

As a matter of interest, did you have a libreoffice ppa enabled?  That
package may have come from that.

Colin