Cannot open blank DVDs under 14.04 - solved

Phil phil_lor at bigpond.com
Sat Sep 20 00:22:21 UTC 2014

On 09/20/2014 07:13 AM, Colin Law wrote:

> If you open brasero or whatever is the DVD writer on your system does
> it see the disc?  In other words is it just the automatic detection
> that is not working or does it not see it at all?

Thank you everyone for your replies.

The DVD drive in my Xububtu laptop has finally failed, it was always
dodgy, and the external USB drive is not detected by KB3, in fact the
system does not detect a blank DVD at all, in my Kubuntu laptop.
However, blank DVDs are detected in the USB drive using Xfburn and
Thunar under Xubuntu. From there it was a simple matter to burn the iso
file to the DVD.

After a bit of fiddling around I was able to get my friend's laptop to
boot from the DVD and now we have Xubuntu installed and one less item in
landfill. I think my friend's son, who is a virus magnet, is going to be
disappointed but at least the operating system will be safe.

--
Regards,
Phil