re-install

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Fri Sep 19 23:34:34 UTC 2014

On 09/19/2014 06:58 PM, oclad wesley wrote:
> I have installed a newer version over an older one. no problems. did not mess with windows either.
>
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Grizzly <Real_Grizz_Adams at yahoo.co.uk <mailto:Real_Grizz_Adams at yahoo.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     Hi All
>
>     First question here, I have made a 14.4 duel boot (Win 7) system, but during
>     an
>     overnight update "something" went wrong and even after going thru the repair
>     option I still get endless "a system problem occurred... Report?" so my
>     question can I install 14.4.1 LTS over 14.4 without frigging either Win 7 or
>     adding even more partitions to the HD
>
>     I guess I could just try but seems better to ask here first, up till now I
>     have
>     always had a dedicated system to test Ubuntu on
>
>     --

>  From Oclad

You should be able to install a different Ubuntu or other Linux version over your existing
install, being very careful of where (in what partition(s) you put it. However, it would
make more sense to try and find out what happened to the existing installation. (Did it
ever work? If it did, then it should still.) You need to run fsck on the partition where it's
installed. It probably won't hurt to run memtest also, but if you do that, you need to let it
run overnight, at least.
Does Windows still work? If so, that should increase your confidence in the hardware. If not,
then something in the hardware may be the problem.
One other thing: Can you reinstall the boot loader from your install disk? (I don't know if
your install disk has that capability.) If you can, then do so. Won't hurt, might fix things.

--doug