Upgrading to 14.04 gives problems II

J.L. Blom joep at neuroweave.nl
Fri Sep 19 13:17:00 UTC 2014

On 19/09/14 10:09, Colin Law wrote:
> On 17 September 2014 10:57, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Joep, I think, following Nils experiments which have failed to show up
>> an issues, I suggest the following strategy.
>> 1. Disable the ppa again in Software Sources, lets stick to standard
>> Ubuntu components for the moment.
>> 2. In a terminal run
>> sudo apt-get update
>> to update the database of packages
>> 3. Try
>> sudo apt-get install wine
>> we expect that to say that it cannot as it needs wine1.6 or wine1.7
>> 4. Try
>> sudo apt-get install wine1.6
>> that may say that it needs <another package>
>> 5. sudo apt-get install <another package>
>> make sure you get the package name right, including any :386 that may
>> be on the end
>> that may say the it needs <yet another package>
>> 6. repeat 5, with each new package that it says it needs (just use the
>> first one if there is a choice) until you get a message that says that
>> the wrong version of something is installed, or that something you are
>> trying to install is already installed (or any other different
>> message), then post the whole sequence of commands and results here.
> I hope Joep has not given up as I felt we were nearing finding the
> cause of the problem.
>
> Colin

Colin & the others,
No, I most surely don give up. However, I have other tasks to fulfil
that now need my attention urgently (e.g. music and community work as we
just have started a society to promote chamber music in our town
(>180.000 inhabitants) but I will try tonight to work on it and if I don
succeed I will continue on Sunday (of course all ocal time!).
Joep