Upgrading to 14.04 gives problems II

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 16:08:07 UTC 2014

On 15 September 2014 15:33, J.L. Blom <joep at neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> On 15/09/14 14:45, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> That is nothing to do with the Wine problem. OK, lets start again with the
>> ppa in place. First lets have apt-cache policy wine to check that it wants
>> to pick it up from the ppa. Then apt-cache policy wine1.6 and apt-cache
>> policy wine1.7 If wine1.7 has a candidate to install from the ppa then try
>> to install it, assuming it then complains about something not installed work
>> down the chain till you find the culprit, as we did before. If wine1.7 is
>> not available then do it with 1.6. Post all the results here. Colin
>

> Colin, Yes I know but it shows that the system is still not quite OK.
> I followed your suggestions and it gave a normal result:
> wine:
>   Installed: (none)
>   Candidate: 1:1.7.26-0ubuntu1~ppa1
>   Version table:
>      1:1.7.26-0ubuntu1~ppa1 0
>         500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-wine/ppa/ubuntu/ trusty/main
> amd64 Packages
>      1:1.6.2-0ubuntu4 0
>         500 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64
> Packages
> wine1.6:
>   Installed: (none)
>   Candidate: 1:1.6.2-0ubuntu4
>   Version table:
>      1:1.6.2-0ubuntu4 0
>         500 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64
> Packages
> wine1.7:
>   Installed: (none)
>   Candidate: 1:1.7.26-0ubuntu1~ppa1
>   Version table:
>      1:1.7.26-0ubuntu1~ppa1 0
>         500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-wine/ppa/ubuntu/ trusty/main
> amd64 Packages
> This looks completely normal. However when I do an apt-get install -s wine I
> get the same result as before.
> I begin to get have the impression that apt-get somehow thinks there are
> broken packages but synaptic says 45649 packages listed, 3749 installed, 0
> BROKEN, 0 to install/upgrade, 0 to remove but when I want to install wine it
> comes with a long list of files to be removed and another list to be
> installed but when I want to install it it says:¨Could not apply changes!
> Fix broken packages first¨.
>
> I think there is something deep down in the system where something has been
> corrupted during the upgrade to 14.04 and the easiest solutin will be to
> install a completely new system but is for me a long process as I have to
> consider what can safely be removed and what not. I have some strategies in
> mind nut I must find out what is the best.

Most unlikely to be anything major, it is most likely just something
inappropriate got installed when you re-enabled the old repositories
and we have to get to the bottom of that.  When I said follow the
chain down I meant go on down below wine1.7, however NoOp is more
knowledgable than myself and will likely get to the solution quicker
than me, so I suggest following his advice.  Do not despair.  The only
reason this is taking a long time is due to the delays going backwards
and forwards.  We have only actually run half a dozen or so commands
since we started.

Colin