Reactivate the Network Manager

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 17 21:48:59 UTC 2014

On 09/17/2014 10:20 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
> Good morning
> The other day I remove "by accident" the Network Manager" from the
> notification area
> on a PC running xubuntu 14.01 (tuxtrans).
> It does not really matter, but I would like to bring it back to life.
>
> I tried using the Package Manager to reinstall/update the relevant
> packages (which one are those? there are millions ...)
> and the Package Manage did do something (no idea what it was), that took
> quite some while.
> No change.
> I also tried the command "sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome".
> The computer tells me, the package is already installed and up-to-date.
> Right-click on panel trying to "Add New Items ..." there is no such item.
>
> Is there a way to bring that applet back?
> With other things I found that you can remove them and later put them
> back there ...

See if it actually is running:

$ ps -e | grep NetworkManager
(note the caps)

You should get a response similar to:
 1262 ?        00:00:00 NetworkManager

If so, then Window(Super)key&Altkey - right click the panel|select 'Add
to Panel'|cick on 'Indicator Applet Complete|Click 'Add' and then
'Close'. If the NetworkManager does not show up, then:

$ killall NetworkManager

it should show up now.