Upgrading to 14.04 gives problems II

J.L. Blom joep at neuroweave.nl
Mon Sep 15 10:09:58 UTC 2014

On 15/09/14 01:00, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 9:10 AM, J.L. Blom <joep at neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> :
>> Colin, Just returned home and found your mail and the one of of Samual
>> Romero.
>> I´ll  start answering Samuel´s and your last mail first.
>> Yes I have nvidia drivers but my drivers are of the 304 series (much older).
> I had some problems with the 304 driver after upgrading to 14.04.1.
> Someone suggested I look up my nVidia card at their site and see what
> the latest driver for it was.  It turns out that nVidia had released a
> newer driver for my card, and I have had almost no troubles with it
> since upgrading.
>
> Here is the site where I found what I needed, including step-by-step
> instructions that worked for me:
> http://www.binarytides.com/install-nvidia-drivers-ubuntu-14-04/
>
> HTH,
> MR

MR,
Thanks for your suggestion. However, looking at the additional drivers
the menu says:
No proprietary drivers are is in use, but 304.123 is indicated (in the
list) and when I start ¨NVIDIA X Server Settings¨ it says the runnung
server is 304.123 so I think the additional drivers tag has a bug as it
also won´t load the driver 340.32 although it correctly is signalled in
the list but when I select it and press apply it starts (something) and
then stops. I can then cancel it and no problems arise.
@Colin, following your suggestion I did that but I got the same results
as before:
______________________
or been moved out of Incoming.

  wine : Depends: wine1.6 but it is not going to be installed or
                  wine1.7 but it is not going to be installed
Besides this installation problem I got a lot of ¨Unmatched Entries¨ in
the Kernel Audit log related to apparmor. I give one line:

   type=1400 audit(1410586663.253:150): apparmor="STATUS" operation="profile_replace" profile="unconfined" name="/usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf" pid=2512 comm="apparmor_parser"

But I have no idea when this happened (no time indication) and I don know if it is a warning or simply a message.
An annoying result of the upgrade is that power-manager won´t work but I know there is some setting that has to be set on but I have forgotten where and what (you know, age and grey cells decaying...)
Joep