upgrading 12.04 to 14.04 gives many problems

J.L. Blom joep at neuroweave.nl
Wed Sep 10 12:45:19 UTC 2014

On 10/09/14 13:08, Colin Law wrote:
> On 10 September 2014 11:04, J.L. Blom <joep at neuroweave.nl> wrote:
>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>   wine : Depends: wine1.6 but it is not going to be installed or
>>                   wine1.7 but it is not going to be installed
>> E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
> I asked if you had read one of my previous emails and you said yes,
> but you still have not responded to those suggestions, I will repeat
> them.
>
> First in synaptic click Installed on the left and enter wine in the
> search box.  If there are any wine related packages then uninstall
> them and try the install again.
>
> If there were none installed or it still says it needs wine1.6 (or
> 1.7) but cannot install them but does not say why, what happens if you
> try to install wine1.6?
> sudo apt-get install wine1.6
>
> It is difficult to help if you do not respond to our suggestions.
>
> Colin

Colin,
Sorry I thought I had responded.
!. When I click on installed and put wine in the search box, it shows
nothing.
2 When I click on not-installed and put wine in the search box it comes
with a long list of programs to be removed:
colord, cuneiform, digikam, dolphin...,evince, gnome, etc.
It then says:
wine1.7 broken package (yes I did know!!) and when I click  under edit:
Broken packages, it says:
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be
caused by held packages.
E: Unable to correct dependencies.
However when I start ¨Software Updater¨ (why a new name??) it says no
updates.
It is still a puzzle for me what has happened to my system.
Joep