Can't Read Second Drive Since Last Update.

Francis (Grizzly) Smit grizzly at smit.id.au
Thu Sep 4 00:52:45 UTC 2014

On 04/09/14 05:14, Stephen wrote:
> I updated my Ubuntu 12.04 this morning.
>
> Then I tried to copy files from my main drive to the second drive in the
> box.
>
> I got this error;
> Error splicing file: Input/output error
>
> Then I couldn't even read from my second drive.
>
> I got suspicious because, it was just after an update, and I never had
> any trouble with the drive before.
>
> I checked both drives a couple of days ago and they were functioning
> fine. The second drive is formated NTFS, but I don't have windows on my
> system, except in a virtual box.
>
> I restarted my system and then I could read from the second drive so I tried
> gksudo nautilus.
>
> I could read the second drive so I tried to copy files from my main hard
> drive and I got these messages in the terminal after I exited nautilus;
>
> Initializing nautilus-gdu extension
> Shutting down nautilus-gdu extension
> Error loading document: Error opening file: Permission denied
> Error loading document: Error opening file: Permission denied
> Error loading document: Error opening file: Permission denied
>
> ** (nautilus:2823): WARNING **: Could not inhibit power management:
> GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Name
> "org.gnome.SessionManager" does not exist
>
> ** (nautilus:2823): WARNING **: Could not inhibit power management:
> GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Name
> "org.gnome.SessionManager" does not exist
>
> ** (nautilus:2823): WARNING **: Could not inhibit power management:
> GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Name
> "org.gnome.SessionManager" does not exist
>
> I restarted my system and am coping all the information from my second
> drive to an External 1 terrabyte drive.

My recommendation open a terminal and use "sudo -i" to become root then
try looking a5t the drive, it sounds like the owner is set to something
diff from your user try "ls -l <path to files>" or just "ls -l <path to
drive>" if the user and group are wrong try

hope that helps

--

   .~.     In my life God comes first....
   /V\         but Linux is pretty high after that :-D