Can't Read Second Drive Since Last Update.

Stephen stephen_o at bell.net
Wed Sep 3 19:14:33 UTC 2014

I updated my Ubuntu 12.04 this morning.

Then I tried to copy files from my main drive to the second drive in the
box.

I got this error;
Error splicing file: Input/output error

Then I couldn't even read from my second drive.

I got suspicious because, it was just after an update, and I never had
any trouble with the drive before.

I checked both drives a couple of days ago and they were functioning
fine. The second drive is formated NTFS, but I don't have windows on my
system, except in a virtual box.

I restarted my system and then I could read from the second drive so I tried
gksudo nautilus.

I could read the second drive so I tried to copy files from my main hard
drive and I got these messages in the terminal after I exited nautilus;

Initializing nautilus-gdu extension
Shutting down nautilus-gdu extension
Error loading document: Error opening file: Permission denied
Error loading document: Error opening file: Permission denied
Error loading document: Error opening file: Permission denied

** (nautilus:2823): WARNING **: Could not inhibit power management:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Name
"org.gnome.SessionManager" does not exist

** (nautilus:2823): WARNING **: Could not inhibit power management:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Name
"org.gnome.SessionManager" does not exist

** (nautilus:2823): WARNING **: Could not inhibit power management:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Name
"org.gnome.SessionManager" does not exist

I restarted my system and am coping all the information from my second
drive to an External 1 terrabyte drive.