Thunderbird - Software Security Device

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 26 23:18:00 UTC 2014

On 10/26/2014 01:46 PM, Sajan Parikh wrote:
> On 10/26/2014 12:14 PM, NoOp wrote:
>> On 10/26/2014 03:34 AM, Sajan Parikh wrote:
>>> I realize Thunderbird has their own support, but wasn't subscribed there
>>> and didn't want to for a single issue.
>>>
>>> I use an S/MIME Digital Certificate to sign, encrypt, and decrypt
>>> messages in Thunderbird and have been doing this for a long time.
>>>
>>> I go to Preferences -> Advanced -> Certificates, import my certificate
>>> then have the account use it.  Has always worked.
>>>
>>> I just did a fresh installation of Ubuntu 14.10 and went through the
>>> same steps that I always go through, however this time I think somehow
>>> Thunderbird, on its own, setup a Software Security Device.
>>>
>>> I have no idea how the Security Devices work in Thunderbird, however my
>>> certificate seems to be tied to this somehow.
>>>
>>> *The problem* is that now, assuming because of this, every time I launch
>>> Thunderbird, it is asking me for the master password for the 'Software
>>> Security Device', which I guess I set when I imported my certificate.
>>> Once I enter the password, everything works as expected.  However, it
>>> asks me for that password on every launch of Thunderbird.
>>>
>>> What did I do wrong and how can I get Thunderbird to stop asking me for
>>> this password on every launch?  I'm very close to deleting my
>>> Thunderbird profile and starting over.
>> Nothing. That is the way that Thunderbird is supposed to work when
>> you've set a master password.
>>
>> <https://www.google.com/#q=thunderbird+master+password>
>>    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_password>
>>   <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/thunderbird>
>>
>> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/thunderbird/privacy-and-security-settings>
>>         <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/master-password>
>> (Note: The master password only needs to be entered once per Thunderbird
>> session.)
>>
>> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/get-community-support>
>> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/forums/#end-user-support?
> This issue has nothing to do with the Master Password as you've
> interpreted it.  I am talking about the Device Manager in Thunderbird,
> normally I think it's used for hardware devices, but in my case it
> created a Software Security Device.

If you have set a master password, you *will* be prompted with "Please
enter the master password for the Software Security Device." regardless
of whether you have a digital certificate or not.

See: <http://postimg.org/image/w1963i8a9/> for a screenshot of the
prompt from Thunderbird (and SeaMonkey) when a master password is set.

BTW: I also use digital certs for pgp/mime/enigmail, so I've no idea why
you're so certain that this is not your issue. Go to
Edit|Preferences|Security|Passwords ans see if 'Use a master password'
is checked. If it is, uncheck it and restart Thunderbird & see if you
get the prompt then.

> I've never had this before and have used my certificates for years.
>
> I guess I'll go on over to the TB lists.

Good idea.