Thunderbird - Software Security Device

Sajan Parikh sajan at parikh.io
Sun Oct 26 20:46:19 UTC 2014

On 10/26/2014 12:14 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 10/26/2014 03:34 AM, Sajan Parikh wrote:
>> I realize Thunderbird has their own support, but wasn't subscribed there
>> and didn't want to for a single issue.
>>
>> I use an S/MIME Digital Certificate to sign, encrypt, and decrypt
>> messages in Thunderbird and have been doing this for a long time.
>>
>> I go to Preferences -> Advanced -> Certificates, import my certificate
>> then have the account use it.  Has always worked.
>>
>> I just did a fresh installation of Ubuntu 14.10 and went through the
>> same steps that I always go through, however this time I think somehow
>> Thunderbird, on its own, setup a Software Security Device.
>>
>> I have no idea how the Security Devices work in Thunderbird, however my
>> certificate seems to be tied to this somehow.
>>
>> *The problem* is that now, assuming because of this, every time I launch
>> Thunderbird, it is asking me for the master password for the 'Software
>> Security Device', which I guess I set when I imported my certificate.
>> Once I enter the password, everything works as expected.  However, it
>> asks me for that password on every launch of Thunderbird.
>>
>> What did I do wrong and how can I get Thunderbird to stop asking me for
>> this password on every launch?  I'm very close to deleting my
>> Thunderbird profile and starting over.
> Nothing. That is the way that Thunderbird is supposed to work when
> you've set a master password.
>
> <https://www.google.com/#q=thunderbird+master+password>
>    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_password>
>   <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/thunderbird>
>
> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/thunderbird/privacy-and-security-settings>
>         <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/master-password>
> (Note: The master password only needs to be entered once per Thunderbird
> session.)
>
> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/get-community-support>
> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/forums/#end-user-support?
This issue has nothing to do with the Master Password as you've
interpreted it.  I am talking about the Device Manager in Thunderbird,
normally I think it's used for hardware devices, but in my case it
created a Software Security Device.

I've never had this before and have used my certificates for years.

I guess I'll go on over to the TB lists.

Thanks.

--
Sajan Parikh